I have been avoiding to do this for a long time because in principle I do not like to mix my personal blog with work. But the setting up of the channel website is taking a lifetime for reasons I cannot understand, so maybe once in a while, I can blog about the channel’s programming highlights. There are over 100 movies played on the channel every month, of which about 20% of them are fresh titles and the balance 80% repeat titles. Out of this 20% fresh titles, there is about 4-8 titles every month that is the key highlight and these titles are further programmed in a way that will appeal to a large target market, from the aunties to the young, from urban to rural. So here it is:
A. For those who loves to watch locally made Malay movies:
1. HARU BIRU – a Que Haidar drama action. It didn’t make a lot of money in the box office but this movie deals with the social problems in Malaysia and the spoils of youth in contemporary Malay society. I will consider this a relatively high grade Malay movie compared to some other dumb but more successful movies in the box office.
Premieres 4th May. Repeats: 9, 13, 19, 25,31 May.
2. ZOMBI KAMPUNG PISANG – this is a wonderful movie from director Mamat Khalid. A comedy which is more of a social satire and B-grade movie spoofs, it is a very smart and well made movie with an ensemble cast headed by Awie, who, in my personal opinion, is a more talented comic actor (as seen in BAIK PUNYA CILOK) rather than a macho romantic as in SEMBILU.
Premieres 9pm 18 May. Repeats: 23, 27 May.
I will consider the above two movies the better made of the local Malay movie crop of craps.
B. For those who loves a more “niche” type of movies (which more me means more intellectually stimulating type):
1. SANCTUARY – a movie by Malaysian Ho Yuhang of which I have previously reviewed on my website. Go there to read more. Yuhang is one of the more talented local filmmakers. Although sometimes loud-mouthed, he is smart, intellectually disciplined and has some sense of humour that is lacking in many other filmmakers.
Premieres: 7th May. Repeats: 17, 20, 26 May.
2. HOLIDAY DREAMING – this movies hails from Taiwan, a land where the local film industry has been suffering for a long time from the onslaught of Hollywood movies but is recently seeing a revival.
Premiere: 31 May
C. For those who loves Bollywood movies:
1. GURU – This Mani Ratnam movie stars Aishwarya Rai and hubby and is a sure Bollywood entertainer.
Premiere: 2 May. Repeats: 7, 12, 21, 31 May.
2. ANTHONY KAUN HAI – translates as Who is Anthony, this movie by Sanjay Dutt (Sanju Baba) is an action comedy. Sanjay Dutt is quite a good actor and seeing him in LAGE RAHO MUNA BHAI is really fun, for example. We see his normal fun and charm in ANTHONY KAUN HAI as well.
D. For Hong Kong/Japanese/Korean movie lovers:
1. DOG BITE DOG – Edison Chen (heh heh!!) acting in this action thriller. Sam Lee is good in this movie. But beware, the intense action may upset your stomach.
Premiere: 16 May. Repeats: 21, 26 May.
2. 200 POUNDS BEAUTY – A very entertaining Korean Rom-com. Good movie to watch to unwind after a day of work.
Premiere: 10 May. Repeats: 13, 21, 29 May.
3. THE GREAT YOKAI WAR – by the ever great Takashi Miike, this action-fantasy is a welcome change from Miike’s who is more well known for his violent flicks (although this is not entirely true).
Premiere: 17 May. Repeats: 20, 28 May.
For more comprehensive synopsis, please Google them or search on IMDB.
The above movies will be my pick if you ask me for a handful of movies to look out for in the channel.
Coming up in June, it is also quite exciting. We have:
1. FLOWER IN THE POCKET
2. AFTER THIS OUR EXILE
3. PAN’S LABYRINTH
4. MY WIFE IS A GANGSTER 3
5. BAIK PUNYA CILOK
So look out for this. Am in the process of closing a bunch of very good movies, which I will announce when the deed is done! Very excited!