Yeah, another post on Go but one post on movie is coming up and brewing ;-)
My current intensity with Go has several origins, firstly, the increase in the number of tournaments that I am participating in, as I have promised myself earlier to take part in every tournament that I can and have time for. The World Mind Sports Games in Beijing is a major fuel for me. Secondly, the gang at the Malaysian Weiqi Association, namely Mr. Tiong, Billy, Zaid, Alex, Philip, Xinwen, Dennis, et al has been really great and I enjoy their company a lot, and their enthusiasm for Go encouraged me to become better at Go (and to beat them too). Thirdly, we now have a league system and I have participated. I don’t want to lose all my games and I want to emerge as one of the top players there. Fourth, playing Go calms me and is a good antidote to all the crazy things that is happening in the office.
So I have now devised a plan which I am determined to focus and execute for the coming 3 months. It is going to be strenous and demanding but what the heck! I have gone through much tougher times, I have been through much more extreme situations and have survived and emerged better, so I believe this regime is going to do me good. Here is the plan:
1. 60 minutes in the review of one Lee Changho game using the very nice book that I recently bought in Kinokuniya.
2. 25 minutes spent to solve 24 basic life and death problems using the L&D book I bought in China. These problems are not very tough questions but is good training.
3. 25 minutes spent to solve 20 Tesuji problems in the Tesuji problem book composed by Lee Changho.
4. 10 minutes spent to study one problem in the Chinese book entitled Connecting and Cutting. This is a very advanced problem book on connecting and cutting, using real professional games and full board situations.
5. 30 minutes to study one chapter/section of the Ishida joseki dictionary.
In total, 2.5hours a day which is manageable.
The above are mainly aimed to strengthen my reading and fighting skills and to develop a better full board vision for the game, thus executing better strategy.
The above is going to last 3 months and with the team study and the league, let’s see if I can get to 3 dan soon.